Friendship Force is a group of people just like you and me who are promoting a peaceful world one friendship at a time. Through Friendship Force, you can put the simple power of kindness and hospitality to work for a better world.
Friendship Force at the National and International Level
Friendship Force International was founded in 1977 by Wayne Smith. It was strongly supported by President and Mrs. Jimmy Carter. The organization’s mission is to promote world peace and understanding by creating an environment where individual friendships can be established across the barriers that separate people.
Friendship Force International accomplishes this mission through goodwill ambassadors from more than 375 clubs worldwide. Members meet people from all over the world and share experiences and learn about each other’s lifestyles. After sharing these experiences, our differences become less important. For more information on Friendship Force International, please visit their official website.
How Our Local Chapter Fits In
- The Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Chapter of Friendship Force was organized by former Governor Robert Ray in 1985 to be part of the Friendship Force circle of friends.
- The goal of our local club is to reach out in friendship to our Community, to our State, to the USA and to the World.
- Membership meetings are held four or five times per year and often feature speakers or events of cultural interest. Other social opportunities include potluck dinners and “Let’s Eat Out” dinners.
- Our club hosts incoming journeys and participates in outgoing journeys with other Friendship Force clubs to continue building friendships.
- Our chapter has held journeys with Mexico, Belgium, Columbia, Nigeria, Brazil, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Germany, Scotland, England, Poland, Italy, Bulgaria, Canada, Japan, Georgia, Armenia, Czech Republic, Russia, Ukraine, Australia, Hungary and New Zealand, Indonesia, Azerbaijan, and many cities within the USA.
How Our Members Fit In
PagesLocal clubs organize the journeys for groups of 12 to 25 ambassadors.
As an ambassador, you are invited to stay in the home of friends you haven’t met who are members of other clubs. This allows you to take part in their family and community life. While this is not a travel club, sightseeing activities are included in most journeys. You will also have the opportunity to host ambassadors in your home; provide a dinner for ambassadors; help plan events for them and take part in events with them. The best thing is you will make new friends from all over the world.
More Related Information
Check out these links for information on the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area and other organizations that are near and dear to our hearts:
National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library- http://www.ncsml.org
Eastern Iowa Airport- http://www.crairport.org
University of Iowa – http://www.uiowa.edu
Cedar Rapids Area Convention and Visitors Bureau- http://www.cedar-rapids.com
Artist Grant Wood- http://www.crma.org/Content/Grant_Wood/Grant_Wood_Studio.aspx
Cedar Rapids Kernels (Class A Minor League)- http://www.kernels.com
Movie site for “Field of Dreams”- http://www.fieldofdreamsmoviesite.com
Matchstick Marvels – http://www.matchstickmarvels.com
Meskwaki Tribal Museum – https://www.facebook.com/MeskwakiHistory/timeline
Kalona Historical Village- http://www.kalonaiowa.org
Salt and Pepper Shaker Gallery – http://www.traer.com/Default.aspx?id=11497&Title=TraerSaltandPepperShakerGallery
Amana Heritage Society- http://www.amanaheritage.org
Bloomsbury Farms- http://www.bloomsburyfarm.com
African American Museum – http://www.blackiowa.org
Wickiup Hill Learning Center- http://www.mycountyparks.com/County/Linn/Park/Wickiup-Hill-Outdoor-Learning-Center.aspx
Dubuque’s Mississippi River Museum- http://www.mississippirivermuseum.com
Cedar Rapids Weather- http://www.weather.com/weather/local/52402
14 Things We Love About Iowa – http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/iowa/14-things-people-from-ia-love/